MAKEMSI like most products I work on is a work in progress,
it is never "perfect".
In any case my perfect is probably different from yours.
I do the best available in the time I have and then improve where and
when possible, for this reason feedback is very important as it tells me
where I may need to concentrate some effort.
Most of the MSIs I build using MAKEMSI are for
automatic installation under the system account on a
"standard controlled environment".
Feedback from other people using MAKEMSI in different ways helps
me build a better tool.
Please let me know of any bugs or issues and do not assume that someone else has reported it.
I have generally fixed all known bugs/issues.
The very fact that you are having a problem means that I probably
do not know of it!
In rare cases I do get snowed under and forget things, in this case
please remind me!
Note that I don't put every little change here but mainly the
ones that you may notice or you should be aware of.
To see what I might be up to between releases this page is
updated online at
If I have any fixes available between releases these will be available
Note that these may be "experimental" or quick fixes so be sure to backup
files so that you can restore things if required.
- In progress (to do soonish... OK, at least I know I definately need to do it!)
- When deleting a scheduled task it is probably best to send
a "stop" request to it first (at least by default).
- English text, in sundry ".mmh" files (mainly "uisample.mmh"),
see the "Internationalization" section.
- Look into smart cabbing.
- Check out sorting of .chm contents: And a very minor thing I
noticed at the MAKEMSI help file: the command list in the contents
seems to be alphabetical, but a number of entries starting with
'Registry' stand in between Platform and ProductFind.
On closer examination, this is not a bug as such but
the ordering of entries in the documentation
(which I should improve).
- Any "flashing" tooltips in the documentation (MAKEMSI and generated)
is an IE 7 bug, but is there something I can do about it?
- At the moment use of anything but "|1" for the CheckBox
values ("DialogEntry") will cause unchecked
items to become checked when the back button is pressed to
return to the dialog.
- Updating the default for "COMPANY_PROPERTY_ARPCOMMENTS" and
"COMPANY_SUMMARY_SUBJECT" so that for 2 "identical" msis there
will be less differences shown by "MsiDiff.VBS".
- Next Release
- The "ExtnAction" command now supports a "Type"
parameter to support expansion of environment variables in the command.
- The handling of the file extension has been modified, and still works the
way the old documention says, however I have now improved the documentation.
Please check your code, basically the empty string is not the same as
not passing a value.
- New version of the active-x dll "makemsi.dll".
It can now also check for "DllInstall()" code (for per-user self registrations).
- Newer PPWIZARD (v16.059) with dependancy fixes/improvements.
- Minor improvement to the key generated by the "Shortcut"
command when multiple directories specified.
- The logging directory used for the "VbsCa" script now
defaults to the user's "TEMP" directory (not "C:\").
- New "TryMeDualPurposePackage-SupportsWinXP.MM" sample.
I'm not expert at these so very open to feedback.
- 15.120 (30 April 2015)
- The "DIR" parameter of the "Shortcut" command now
supports a semicolon delimitered list of shortcuts directories so the
shortcut can easily be created in multiple locations.
- The "Component" parameters "CU" and "LM" now support
"?" to use whatever is appropriate for the install mode.
- Updated "COMPANY.MMH" so that the registry keypath for
the generated documentation now depends on the installation mode.
- The "SelfRegister" command now supports
per-user/per-machine registrations (based on installation mode) and for
this reason can no longer use the native "SelfReg" table
support at all.
The command now also supports registration of ".exe" files as
"msiexec.exe" is also no longer used.
- Made it easier to find file related entries in the "*.dbg.txt" file.
- Includes newer PPWIZARD (version 15.085) -  Reversed stack trace on trap
and  INPUT dependancy now relative where possible.
- Parameter names are now validated on the "Extn",
"/Extn" and "ExtnAction" commands.
- Added a new parameter to the "ExtnAction" command
to support adding to Explorer's "NEW" menu.
- Added new "TryMeExtnAction.MM" and
- 15.083 (24 March 2015)
- Fixed a very old bug in the "Files" command which would
cause problems if the semi colon list of files included 2 or more
semicolons in a row (extras now correctly ignored).
- Updated the "ShortcutUrl" command to be more flexible
and also to handle an IE8 "Integrity Issue" (0x800706B5) plus similar.
- Updated the "Extn" command to support the optional
"HKEY" parameter which defaults to the previous releases "CLASSES_ROOT"
value, you can also choose current user or local machine hives.
- Now "flashes" the results control in the
"Regular Expression Tester" tool
so its easier to see something has happened :-)
- Includes newer PPWIZARD (version 14.089).
- Minor modifications to the "File" and
"Files" commands to support the "OptionMakeRemoveDirs"
option (placebo for now).
- Renamed internal "Rexx4MakeDirTree()" routine.
- Created new template msi called "TEMPLATE_MSI-SimpleSchedule.MMH"
and an example to demonstrate it (TryMeTemplate-SimpleSchedule.MM)
- Now include a tool to delete files older than a certain age
This will be used by "TEMPLATE_MSI-SimpleSchedule.MMH".
- 13.321 (17 November 2013)
- Implemented a fix suggested by Jason Gibbons to handle
redefining "TABLES_FILE_SEQ_NUMBER_LIMIT" from its default
value 2 to 4 (in order to handles > 32767 files).
- Assorted improvements to the
"Regular Expression Tester" tool.
- 13.267 (23 September 2013)
- Added the "IeAddressBar" parameter to the
- 13.251 (8 September 2013)
- Have modified "MM.CMD" so it
detects if the "Ignore Me" file is non-blank and warns you.
|Older Entries Than Those Above|
If you need to see older entries then please have a look at
my older change history page.