\Windows Installer FAQ (the basics)Limitations (areas of improvement)Cabinet File Size Limitations
|Cabinet File Size Limitations|
MAKEMSI uses the "MakeCab.EXE" tool to create
cabinets, which is the only form of compression supported by
This compression format is flawed and has these known limitations
(as documented by Microsoft's Windows Installer team):
- Multi-part CABs can get the total size of a set of files past 2GB,
possibly to 64K * 2GB, but no one file can exceed 2GB.
- Maximum size of all files in one folder (uncompressed) 2GB
- Maximum size of all files in one folder (compressed) 2GB
- Maximum size of a CAB file (compressed) 2GB
- Maximum number of files in a single CAB 64K
The easiest solution would be to use the "compile"
command between any huge files.